Sticky Date Cake with Butterscotch Sauce
1. Preheat oven to moderate. Grease 26cm x 36cm baking dish, double-line base and long sides with baking paper, bringing paper 5cm above edges of dish.
2. Combine dates and the water in medium saucepan; bring to a boil; remove from heat; stir in soda. Stand 5 minutes. Blend or process date mixture until smooth.
3. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until combined between each addition. Stir in date mixture and flour; spread mixture into prepared dish; sprinkle with nuts. Bake, uncovered, in moderate oven about 50 minutes. Stand cake in dish 10 minutes; turn onto wire rack; turn cake top-side up.
4. Meanwhile, make butterscotch sauce.
5. Brush surface of hot cake with 1/3 cup of the hot butterscotch sauce. Serve with remaining sauce.
Stir ingredients in medium saucepan over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes.
Cake is suitable to freeze. To defrost, wrap in foil and reheat in moderately slow oven for 20 minutes. Sauce is suitable to microwave.