From SFI Aug/2002, Page 56.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 rashers rindless bacon
- 1 capsicum, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp chilli poweder (I mixed chilli flakes and cayenne pepper)
- 2 tsp ground oregano (I used normal dried oregano)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable or fish stock
- 3/4 cup long grain rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup sliced okra (or eggplant)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped (or roughly shredded)
- 250g cooked prawns, peeled and chopped.
- fresh parsley
- seasonings to taste
What to do
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Saute bacon, capsicum, onion and garlic until tender. Add herbs. Cook for 2 mins.
- Add stock, rice and bay leaves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 mins or until rice is very tender.
- Blend in tomatoes and okra. Simmer for 5 mins.
- Stir through chicken, prawns, parsley and seasonings. Cook, stirring, for 1 min. Serve immediately with bread.
- I used lebanese eggplant, then realised that throwing it in with the tomato is not enough cooking time. Next time use zucchini.
- Could use a cup of rice to make it go further (may need a little more water/stock).