The original biscuits had no oats and were cut into tiles. Here's the popular version from the same site:
ANZAC Biscuit Popular Version
(From a original recipe provided by Mr Bob Lawson, an ANZAC present at the Gallipoli landing)
- 1 cup each of plain flour, sugar, rolled oats and coconut
- 4 oz butter
- 1 tablespoon treacle (golden syrup)
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 teaspoon carbonate soda (add a little more water if mixture is too dry)
- Grease biscuit tray and pre heat oven to 180C
- Combine dry ingredients
- Melt together butter and golden syrup. Combine water and soda add to butter mixture.
- Mix butter mixture and dry ingredients.
- Drop teaspoons of mixture onto tray allowing room for spreading.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool on tray for a few minutes before transferring to cooling racks